Recent social interactions have caused me to review what I consider topics of general interest. Apparently, not everyone finds my interests interesting. A fascinating revelation. So I’ve compiled a list of subjects and terms that I should avoid to better facilitate my desire to socialize.
1) Anything in the Tolkien universe that DOES NOT appear in the Peter Jackson Lord of the Rings movies.
2) Linguistics in general. The history of the English language and Tolkien’s languages of Middle Earth in particular.
3) Referring to the Id, Ego, and Super-Ego as the “Bones, Kirk, and Spock”, respectively.
4) Referring to the Id, Ego, and Super-Ego, as well as Jungian theories, and the works of Joseph Campbell.*
5) Making overly specific Star Trek references. Phasers, Red Shirts, and sexy green aliens, etc are acceptable. Avoid discussions of Klingon culture, the physics of Warp travel, and Data’s poetry.
That’s my starter list. Contributions are welcome. I look forward to adding to this list as I seek out and discover more blank stares and awkward silences!
*Some references to Joseph Campbell are allowed when speaking of Star Wars, or in the company of screenwriters.