I don’t know when all these words were first used, but I know they need to go.
1) Wheelhouse: Is this like a mill? Saw mill? Grain mill? Was some miller like “Yo. I’m Mr. Wheelhouse now. And whole grains are not in my house that has a wheel.” ?
2) Inflection Point: As far as I know, inflection is saying “This is my house,” versus “This is MY house.” But now everything has an inflection point. Relationships, social movements, Covid. This is MY Covid. This IS my Covid. THIS is my Covid. This is my COVID. Kill ME.
3) Problematic: It’s not difficult. It’s not complex. Complicated. Hard. Thorny. Controversial. A bad idea. An annoyance. Troublesome. A Pandora’s Box. A fault in our stars. An asshole. A jerk. Buttholery. Nope. Problematic. And it’s just the first cringe-worthy, stabby step in becoming…
4) Cancelled: Cancel/cancelled. Apparently this is a thing that people on Twitter do that makes other people on Twitter mad. Until Twitter cancels their account. And then you can’t read JK Rowling, I lose a favorite character on The Mandalorian, and folks can’t eat certain sammiches. “Cancelled” should solely be used for awesome TV shows corporate couldn’t handle.
Notably Firefly, Futurama, and Hannibal. *
5) #Blessed: The religious humble-brag. “God loves me so much more than you that he’s given me a heated swimming pool.” If 2020 has taught us anything, it’s that the world and the Universe don’t give a shit about us. Assholes get Covid. Good people get Covid. Hell, why we’re at it, the fact that Covid exists at all should be proof enough that there is nothing looking out for us except each other.
Friends, we’ve reached an inflection point in the English language. And as social movements are problematic, and not in my wheelhouse, I’d consider myself #Blessed if we could all help cancel these linguistic abominations of 2020.
– JL ✌🏼💚🖖🏼
*Furthermore, it unites Chads. And we can’t have Maher and Tucker agreeing.
While you’re here: check out the wonderful work done by the people at The National Alliance on Mental Illness and donate.
Check out my Instagram!! There are pictures of stuff!
Got a COMMENT? Click below! I love the feedback. If you like what you’ve read, TAP the Star LIKE button below! LIKE and SHARE on Facebook. Follow and share on Twitter.